Tuesday, April 12, 2016

A Quick Confession

I just discovered this app called "Retype" and it makes me feel very artsy.
Can I admit something? I struggle to keep up with this blog. And it’s not because I don’t want to write- it’s usually just that I’m exhausted, which makes it hard for my brain to fully comprehend the concept of investing in my own self-care.

I love to write. It’s so therapeutic for me. It helps me understand what I'm thinking and feeling, which is no small task some days.

But it’s also hard. Hard in the sense that it often requires a lot of mental and emotional energy.

Whereas watching an episode of 30 Rock for the 500th time? That just requires a comfy couch and the ability to push a few buttons on the remote. It’s a lot easier. And a lot more immediate. (Which why I have approximately 50% of that series memorized. Second confession.)

But- as much as I love Tina Fey- watching Liz Lemon deal with the kooky antics of Tracy and Jenna doesn’t have quite the same long-term benefits of taking the time for- and doing the work of- writing.
I still love you, Tina. If you ever read this- call me. We should hang.
Sometimes, in a moment of exhaustion (and/or laziness- let’s be real), I make the choice to put on my favorite glittery sweatpants (they are real and just as glamorous as they sound), flop onto my couch, and turn on the TV.

But I’m working on changing that habit. Because there a lot of other things I’d rather be doing.

I have crafts to do. Music to learn. Books to read. Books to color. (Anyone else into adult coloring books? Don't worry- they're not as scandalous as they sound.) 

And, of course, things to write.

Those activities might require more energy than a Netflix marathon, but- usually- they give me more energy in return. 

So I’m going to work on this. Feel free to hold me to it. Because, for realz- I need to do the work of self-care. (Sprinkled with the occasional TV binge, because I’m human, after all, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Mindy Project will both be returning in a few days.)

So, as I make this commitment to write more, I'd love your feedback on what kinds of things you'd like to read about. I have a few ideas for some upcoming posts, but I'd love to hear what you want to know- about me, foster parenting, life in Waco, etc.

Let me know in the comments below. Or shoot me an email. Or send me an owl.
Whatever. 
I’d love to get your thoughts and inspiration!



In the meantime, stay tuned for some (hopefully) exciting things coming your way soon!

4 comments:

  1. The adult coloring books are the best mind cleaner/stress reducer I have. Very therapeutic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are great! I used to color in normal kids' coloring books in high school. (I actually have a senior picture to prove it, because that's how cool I was.) I was so ahead of my time! ;) My mom has gotten me a few of the grown-up versions lately- one is a Harry Potter book, and I'm really excited about it!

      Delete
  2. I'd love to read more about getting into foster care. I recently found your blog and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing totally takes up mental and emotional energy. Even starting to write this comment, I was like, hmmm. . . maybe I should wait and do it later when I have more to give to it. My default when I want to write but don't feel up to it is bullet points. So here we go.

    Random thoughts:

    * As I've told you, our cat is named Lemon, after Liz. So, there's that. We could have entire conversations just speaking in 30 Rock quotes. We have two magnets on our fridge: "Blurgh" and "I want to go to there."
    * I love that you're exploring this. Ultimately we're talking about deep self-care here, and if nothing else and beyond how important it is on a personal level, modeling that for Little Man is a really awesome thing.
    * YES to the writing and the reading and the coloring. I don't play music or do crafts, though. What crafts do you do? (Maybe you can blog about them!) Oh, cooking. Cooking is part of my creative self-care too; I love it.

    Ok now ideas for you to write about:

    - You mentioned it being so weird watching yourself on tv and wanting to write about that. Do that.
    - From the Fixer Upper standpoint, I'd also just love to hear more about your house - especially how it essentially went from being like a showhouse, all staged and "perfect" at the reveal, to then transitioning into a real home.
    - Single motherhood. Foster motherhood. Motherhood. Anything and everything.
    - I'm sure this is boring to you and you hear this all the time, but seriously, what it's like being a twin. A real exploration into twin-life - beyond the expected cliches - would be fascinating.
    - Your personal style. Cause you've got a great one. Bangs, skirts, all of it.


    Aaaaaand, my brain is done. For now. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

My Letter to Ellen (3.0)

This was such a special day. Glad I could be there to celebrate you, E. As many of you may or may not but probably may know, I have a...